Sunday 14 September 2014

Dear social media addicts (sometimes known as STALKERS)

2 Corinthians 3:16-18

"But whenever someone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. For the Lord is the spirit, and wherever the spirit of the Lord is, there is FREEDOM. So all of us who have had that veil removed can SEE and REFLECT the glory of the Lord. And the Lord, who is the spirit makes us more and more like Him as we are changed into His glorious image."

I got these impactful verses from a sermon video I watched online (I'll post the link below). It's like a slap on my face when I listened to it. Because all this while, I think most of us, including myself, have been trying hard to present ourselves as perfect figures who has it all, be it in social media or even real life. We work hard to impress others when they see our Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook profile. Wanting to be seen as pretty, rich, smart, or wise is our greatest desire.

Excessive focus is put onto the "perfect" lives of others. We are trapped in social comparison and it makes us feel bad of ourselves. I know what am I talking about because I've been through it. Even now, Im still struggling.

I feel like screaming to your face now if you are upset for not looking that pretty as the girl in the Instagram. I feel like scolding you now if you are contemplating on others glorious lives, and thinking hard before you tweet because you wanna be perceived as wise and you are longing for dozens of retweet.

But let me ask you a question.

 DON'T YOU FEEL TIRED??

You are not a model or celebrity.You are covering your face with a layer of airbrush perfection, until you can't even see the amazing and hopeful plans God has for you. You are too busy looking at other people's lives, what they are up to, but you fail to claim the glory God has for you today.

I feel like cursing now but you get me right?

Now get up from your bed, hide your phone or laptop from your sight, and do what you are supposed to do now. This is the day! This is the day that the Lord has made for YOU.God is eager to show you great things He has prepared for you. But He can only show it when you unveil yourself and unblock your sight from these false fantasies. See and show the real things. Do the real things. If now you are in the season of being a student, study well for God's glory. Do what you are supposed to do with excellence.

If you are struggling with addiction to social media and constant comparison, I tell you that you can only break free from it and claim VICTORY over it if you are really serious about it. Tell God desperately with all your heart that you wanna be released from this chain and I believe that He will renew your strength everyday.

What I did was, I fasted from social media for a few days (we tend to compare ourselves with others via social media), and fixed only 30 minutes everyday on it. It is a painful struggle but you will overcome it. There are days when Im unable to control myself, but it's okay. Always bear in mind that what you feed will grow, and what you starve will die. I have deleted my Instagram earlier this year, because I was addicted to stalking 'beautiful' people and you can do it too if you need to. Im not asking you to delete all of your social media accounts, but if you spend too much time on it and it impairs your daily functioning, emotions and spirit, then you know what you ought to do man.

Personally, I can say that I spend less time on Facebook now. When you no longer have the "need" to login to your Facebook, you will feel like a boss. Seriously,  because it no longer has power over you. And my next monster to be shut out is Youtube. Urghh, Youtube is very entertaining to watch btw..

So stalkers, if you wanna live a bigger life, now is the time to uncover your raw and uncut life. I urge you to compare less and contemplate more on God's glory. NOW is the glorious days for you. Stop slumbering in your sweet history and thinking "these good old days...". Today is your good new day! His spirit will fill us with fruitfulness and glory as it says, "And the Lord, who is the spirit makes us more and more like Him as we are changed into His glorious image."

I hope what I am trying to convey here not only touches your heart, but slaps you in the face like what I have experienced. You are meant for a glorious, victorious and fruitful life. Don't let the enemy rob and destroy you. But YOU, have power over them because the spirit of God is in you.




The Sermon






No comments:

Post a Comment